Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm officially official!

This whole last week I did my WSI training (water safety instuctor). It was everyday this last week from 7am-2pm. It was pretty interesting and I actually learned a lot. The very first morning, 7:30 am she made us jump in the pool (it was an outside pool and freezing and windy outside! pool was heated but was still freezing). So we had to jump in and to a lap there and back of all 6 strokes to show her we could swim good. I felt like I was on swimteam. Did you know there are officially 6 strokes? I didn't. 1. front crawl (or freestyle), 2. back crawl (or backstroke), 3. breastroke, 4. butterfly 5. sidestroke 6. elementary back. Luckily the last 2, which I had never heard of, were easy.

So everyday we were in the pool at leaste 3 or 4 hours learning in detail and having to practice teach each stroke along with safety skills, floating methods and even diving. (I got to sit out and watch the diving part, they didn't want me delivering in the pool).

This was through Red Cross who teaches that from ages 6 mo's to 3 years is just a parent tot class and really won't teach a kid to swim till they're 4. Which I think is crazy, both my girls were swimming at 18 months, as I think everychild should be if for nothing else to save their lives if they fall in. So obviously I'm not following exactly how they showed us, but I will be much more prepared to teach all the strokes when the child is at that stage.

This is my flyer that amazing Tami made for me.


I'm 30 weeks!! 10 more to go and I'm counting down. Yes, I was big and pregnant at the pool with a bunch of skinny teenagers:)

6 comments:

Jacque said...

that's awesome, kimber! you'll be such a fun swim instructor!

when you get a chance, take a look at my etsy shop. i want to send you some burp cloths that you like. choose a set out and let me know which ones.

www.browneyesbluebaby.etsy.com

you look beautiful, by the way!

Rochelle said...

Congrats! That is sooo cool! And you look dang hot at 30 weeks!

Nancy said...

You are cute, and way tan! Congrats on the swim instruction, that should be a lot of fun. Are you doing them at your house?

Jacque said...

kimber,

will you email me your address so i can send you some burp cloths? thanks!! axonjaxon@aol.com

Amanda said...

You look gorgeous as usual! Sounds like fun!! Glad you know that kind of stuff in case I drown in a pool you can save me. Did you know no one taught me how to swim till I was 24!!!! CRAZY!!

Dawn said...

You go girl! So fun to teach swim survival classes. You look awesome as usual. I LOVE the name Tayt also. It goes perfectly with your girls names. I'm excited you are coming to visit soon. I'm putting on my calendar so keep me posted when and where!! Can't wait to see you!