Monday, July 13, 2009

How Can We Say Goodbye

So I took Ty to the dentist last week and her teeth are majorly screwed up and her jaw is a little off, all from sucking her stickin knuckle. Somehow I've got to stop her and the only way I can think of that might work is to take her beloved Froggy away. "How can I do that?" I've been putting it off for too long now, so Sat. was the day. We told her Froggy went on vacation to Hawaii, and if she stops sucking her finger Santa Clause might bring him back. It's been so hard and so sad, she cried and cried Sat. for froggy:( She even said, "Mom, I asked Jesus to bring Froggy back." Maaaan, what do you say to that??
Froggy has been attached to Tyler for 3 years and has helped Tyler through everything.
Through the years Froggy's never let Ty down-- Kenny Rogers


When it all began.

On vacation with just dad to Texas to see family, I'm sure Dave was glad she had Froggy.

Froggy was there when she got a new sister


Froggy is always there to listen to her talk


Froggy was Tyler's biggest comfort when she was in the hospital for 10 days with pneumonia. I was so thankful for Froggy then.


Just out of the hospital, Froggy makes her so happy.


Froggy's always there to cuddle with when going out in the cold.


He helped her potty train.


Froggy likes bike rides.


Going to church. Froggy helped Tyler the first couple times going into nursery.


Waking up with Froggy and drinking her morning milk.


Ofcourse Froggy was a part of her first slumber party.


Froggy and Ty going to her first dance class.


Froggy has kept Tyler quiet so many times in the car.


Froggy likes reading books.


Getting ready to go to Ty's first dance recital.




So if you can't tell just from these few pictures, Froggy is in every part of Tyler's life.
Is it wrong to take froggy away??? I've been debating wether to just give him back and hope that someday she'll stop sucking her finger and that her mouth won't be too messed up. In the last 2 days it's helped with not sucking her knuckle as much but it's hasn't stopped it 100%.
What should I do???


10 comments:

Sharry said...

Adorable post!!! That would be super hard Kimber. I have no idea, my parents tried everything with me and it didn't work I had to stop on my own.

Sharry said...

That was not from sharry it was from me DRE

Natalie said...

Oooo, that's a hard one. I'm sure there's lots of moms out there that have had to deal with thumb sucking, addictions to binkys, addictions to bottles, etc. But I don't have any experience with those. So I don't think I'm qualified to offer any advice. My kids are all blanket-babies. They have a fave blanket to sleep with, but that's it.

Now, Rigdon might be different. He sure does love his binky. But he's only 3 months old, so I'm not too worried yet.

Good luck girl!

The Three Peas said...

There's gotta be some old wives' remedy on getting them to stop sucking any part of their hand. Perhaps rub some non-toxic bitter stuff on her knuckle? I know your pain though, I've been warned that Ava's jaw will not set correctly if I don't eliminate her binky before she turns 2. I have a feeling that taking the frog away for awhile is really the only way to go. Honestly, she's 3...she won't remember all this! I think we've all had a stuffed animal or blanket we were attached to at one point before we could remember that was either lost or taken away. None of us have turned out to be serial killers or anything (hopefully).

Tami G. said...

So hard. Those pictures just melt your heart! Taking away binkies and bottles is totally different from taking away blankets and stuffed animals. I don't know what to tell you either, but I hope it all works out for the best.

P.S. I think my heart of hearts wants you to give the frog back!

P.S.s. Ty is SO cute in her recital dress, I can't stand it!

mph said...

Kimber - Hannah had the same problem. She was majorly screwing up her jaw. We went to an orthodontist who put this thing in her mouth kind of like a retainer for about 6 months. It kind of blocked her from sucking. She stopped the very day it went in and never complained and we tried EVERYTHING. It was so worth it and I recommend it to anyone with a kid that has the habit.

The Price Family said...

Oh, snap - she asked Jesus for froggy back? Yowzer. Hang in there, I'm sure it'll just get better in time. But can I say how much I LOVE the last pic of Ty in her sparkly dance recital dress? Too cute.

Elise and Dan said...

Kimber, I'm in the same boat. Abree just got back from the dentist, and I was told to help her break the habit of thumb sucking. I've been trying since she was 4 years old. Since she only sucks her thhumb to go to sleep at night, and nothing else, her teeth/jaw aren't messed up, yet. The dentist told me to put some onion oil or onion powder on her thumb, scratchy gloves that are loosly taped shut at the wrists, or a tiny bit of liquid dish soap. I don't know if any of it's going to work. I've tried bribery a million times and it doesn't work.
I hope everything goes ok on your end of the sucking habit! Good Luck!!

judy said...

Give the froggy back NOW........gigi

Amanda said...

That was precious! I feel so bad just reading it. Don't take it away!!! :) I really have no expert advice I just feel super bad about it.