Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When should I start worrying?

I have a major case of finger suckers. Not thumb, Tyler sucks her right pointer finger's knuckle and Madix sucks her left pointer and thumb together. Tyler's teeth are messed up from it and she has a big wart type bump on her finger from it.
So when do I need to worry about doing something about it and HOW?? She just turned 3 and I know binkies would be gone by now, so shouldn't finger sucking?

She mostly only does it when she's watching a movie and if she has her froggie. Do I take away her froggie? I don't have the heart to do that. She is so attached.


And in the car. If she's not talking, she's sucking.




RANDOM THINGS

Getting ready to go to dance. It's so hard for her to turn her feet out and put her hands on her hips. That's how uncoordinated she is right now. They're learning how to skip in class. I wish I had a video of Tyler trying to skip. It's the funniest thing, she's not even close, and everytime she tries to hop her tongue comes out.



she's a rockstar


It was such a beautiful day Sunday, we went up to Estrella Lake for a walk.
Watching the ducks.



I made a chocolate banana pie (oh my favorite), and the girls were so happy for about a half an hour just licking the bowl.



I wish I could say I made this sign, but I'm not crafty whatsoever, so I ordered it to hang in their bedroom. I think it turned out very cute.

13 comments:

Donna said...

Very cute sign!!

Rochelle said...

Love the pics! I wouldn't worry too much about the finger sucking...the more you make an issue of it the worse it gets. That being said...my sis had to have a mouthpiece put in that would POKE her fingers if she would suck on them. That cured it but she was 7. Anyway, good luck with that. Being a parent is soooo hard.

Nielsen Family said...

very cute! I am not sure about the sucking???? Deirdre did it for along time! I love the sign for the girls room. I can not wait to decorate.

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

Yeah My parents tried everything to get me to stop. Hot sauce, terrible tasting medicine, took away my blanket EVERYTHING. I just decided to stop one day.

Love that sign, where did you order it from? Would love to do one for Ashton. You know our styles are the same!!!

kimber said...

I ordered from a friend of a friend. Let me know if you want all the info. She could probably do it and you can get it when you're here in July.

Jonesfaminaz said...

I want your recipe for chocolate banana pie...sounds so yummy. Two of my favorite things together. I must try!

Amie said...

Kimber, I was just at the dentist with Alex last week. The Dr. says that around three you really have to work on helping them stop. Alex still sucks his thumb when he falls asleep, so the Dr. gave me some info on it. He is doing it less and less after I pointed it out to him and told him about braces. I will bring you the info tomorrow. :) We certainly have our work cut out for us! Aiden still has his binky and he is SO attached to that thing I don't know what to do about it. I WANT to get SLEEP..do I really have to get rid of it??? :)

mph said...

An orthodontist will be able to tell you if it is a problem. Hannah sucked until she was 5 years old and we tried everything to get her to stop. Nothing worked. Our dentist referred us to a orthodontist, who showed us x-rays of her jaw and she was actually damaging her jaw from her sucking problem. The ortho put in this wire thing - I don't know what it is called in her mouth so that it would block her thumb from going up on the roof of her mouth if she tried to suck. It didn't hurt her at all. In fact, she never complained about it. BUT, she did stop sucking IMMEDIATELY. It was awesome. Literally overnight. It was definitely worth it.

Nancy said...

I have a finger sucker who also has messed up teeth because of it. I tried to nip it in the bud around three with the nailpolish for thumb suckers, didn't work. She has now switched to her thumb and does it very rarely, but I don't have any advice on stopping it, nothing I did worked. But I will say that they will probably do it less and less as they get older.

The Three Peas said...

Savannah sucks her thumb when she's in whiny mode or over tired, but she's never taken a binky and never sucked her thumb as a baby... but AVA will not sleep unless she has her binky. I thought I was doing okay by only letting her have it for naps/bedtime and if I was leaving her @ the gym/nursery...boy am I wrong! It's best to nip it in the bud!

Dusty said...

Your girls are so adorable. I love their blonde hair and nice skin and eyes. Great combination. I'm no help in the finger sucking dept. Jaiden sucked her thumb only with a duckie that we finally took away when she turned four. Ava had her binkies until sometime after her third b-day. It's so hard. My cousin just had something put on her kids thumbs to stop thumb sucking and I guess it worked. Ask your pediatrician.

Tami G. said...

I agree with the other girls. I don't think you can do anything about finger sucking until they decide to stop - so don't let it bother you in the meantime.

Jacque said...

i don't know what to tell you about sucking on fingers... cohen didn't do it at all...

but i LOVE your sign for the girls' room! so adorable! (i have the same wish-we-lived-at-the-beach-loving style as you). i think we talked about that at the mumu party (because we have the same blog background.)

anyway, it's adorable!